Sunday, June 21, 2015

21 Day Challenge - Day 8: Father's Day

Today is Father's day.  I called my dad.  I love my dad.  I have a written history of him somewhere in my storage unit, along with another box of other family history stuff.  That box isn't likely to make it out of storage during this 21 day challenge.  It is work for the future.  Hopefully, I won't wait too long to get it out.

I was invited by my friends to have dinner at their house.  It was such fun as they sat the 4 dads around and asked questions of the dads.  They asked questions about their childhoods.

1.  How did you learn to drive and what was your first car?
2.  What was the first movie you remember seeing and how much did it cost?
3.  Who did you hang out with when you were a youth?
4.  Who was your idol, and why?

I loved these questions.  I don't think most of us know the answers to these questions about our parents.  So for my family history today, I will answer these questions for my children, or anyone else that is interested.  AND I challenge the rest of you to write down yours answers and give them to your kids, and find out from your parents the answers to these questions.

1.  The first time I ever drove a car was when my brother made me drive a car because he didn't want a Dairy Queen ice cream to melt.  It was on the back roads of Missouri (Misery, as I like to call it).  I was so frightened when another car came up that I pulled over to let it pass.  Since I had driven a tractor prior to that, it really wasn't that difficult to drive a car.  My first car was an orange VW bug. =).  Back then, if you were pulled over before the age of 16 (between 15 1/2 and 16) without a license, they didn't give you a ticket.  They just assumed you were learning to drive and gave you a warning.  I imagine this really only happened in the back roads.

2.  My parents took me to see the original M*A*S*H when it came out in the theater.  I know, scandalous, right?!?!  I was a little kid!  I don't remember what the cost was, but I do know that movies cost about 75 cents when I was about 12 years old.  I used to go every Saturday.  What fun.

3.  I had several friends in the neighborhood.  We used to play kick the can. Everyone would run around in all the backyards.  Nobody had fences.  We would leave our bikes all over the place.  My best friend's name was Robin.

4.  I don't actually remember having an idol.  I had four older brothers that I didn't really admire or get along with.  My mom was my best friend and that kind of ended weird.  Looking back on it now, I would recommend teaching your children to have heroes.  I wonder if I would have been better if I would have looked up to someone who was hero-esque.

Today was stake conference.  I was mesmerized by the talks.  I don't think I have felt that way about a stake conference in a long time.  *miracle*

This is my dad...sorry it is fuzzy.

No comments:

Post a Comment