Thursday, June 18, 2015

21 Day Challenge - Day 5: They are beginning to Attend

If you sit in a park with a bag of bread crumbs and throw out a few, very quickly you find yourself surrounded by birds.  They don't jump on you, they don't harass you, but they know you have bread crumbs and they are hopeful, so they come close.  I think that is what happens with family history.  Once we get started, and sit on the bench with a few bread crumbs, the ancestors begin to hover.  It is an amazing thing that happens.  As you begin to work, your thoughts turn to them because they are there.  This morning, the first thing I wanted to do was hop online and find a story about a particular ancestor to share with my kids. This is what I shared.
  • I have a new little granddaughter named, Hazel Elise. (I also have another grandson named Levi).  Hazel Tippets is my grandmother's mother (therefore my Great grandmother).  She was born on November 7, 1891 and died January 31, 1987.  She was married to Thomas John Walberger, and they had 5 children.
    Beatrice Walberger

    Clara Walberger (My grandmother)

    Dora Walberger

    Hazel Eliza Walberger (1916-2006)

    Edward Levi Walberger
    Her father's name was Levi William Tippets, and her mother's name was Eliza W. Easthope.
    I know you didn't get Hazel's name because it was a family name, but I thought it was interesting to see the "Hazel" and "Eliza" and "Levi" all over. 
    So there you have it, fun family history for the day.  Love mom
 I cancelled most of my studying for the day to work on visiting teaching and such.  When I felt a good portion of that was done, I moved on to my hour+ of family history.  It was really down and dirty work today, trudging through the data, looking at census records and matching up dates and names.  I do have a miracle to report, though.  Years ago, Paul's dad gave me the stack of books and stuff that I had put into a box.  Most of my work had consisted of information I had downloaded from a historical book I found on the internet.  Along with the stack of books was a hard copy of the downloaded book.  Super interesting because it had all the pictures, etc.  That stack of books also had the bible that I posted a couple of days ago.  One of the items I was looking at today is an update of "The Zahnisers, A History of the Family in America." It is dated 1996.  I haven't had time to read the entire update, but I will be taking the time to do that in the next few days.  I was using the appendix of this book today as I was verifying data along with the census records, and a stack of folded paper kept falling out of the back.  I kept shoving it back in because it was getting in the way.  Finally, I was starting to finish up and put things away.  These papers fell out again.  I thought, hm, maybe it is another update or something.  It is a copy of Paul's mother's patriarchal blessing.  Knowing that things like this don't just happen by coincidence I read through the blessing.  There were two things of interest to me.  #1, there was something very beautifully stated that I will use in my upcoming RS lesson, and #2 There is an entire paragraph in her blessing about the work to be done for her ancestors.  She must have had the desire to do the work herself.  

Still on the lookout for someone to do my two male endowments so I can do my 2 sealings next Thursday!

I am sharing a picture of 5 Zahniser brothers who were ministers.  I love this picture, though I wish they were smiling.


Oh, and I have another picture to share.  If you have read previous postings of my blog at all, you may have noticed, that I find it very interesting that hippos are so dangerous.  I happened upon this picture today while I was perusing Facebook.  Enjoy.  Hope it doesn't keep you up tonight.  


No comments:

Post a Comment