Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Shooting

I have been trying to think of a theme for my blog.  I really don't have one, hence the name "My Random Thoughts."  But I figure if there is one thread I can tie through all my blogs, at least it will have some essence of sanity.  Well, I haven't come upon a subject, but when I do, I will let you know.  I am leaning towards the things that I have learned.  It should be super easy, but possibly incredibly boring during the school year.  We shall see.

Last night at 9:56 we heard a gun battle go on.  I know it was more than 6 shots, and probably closer to about 12.  I didn't count because I was pretty sure there was more than one gun shooting.  I got up this morning and checked the police report to see if something was reported.  There was a minor report of something about gunfire but that the investigation was still ongoing.  Well, crap.  What fun is it if you hear gunshots but you have no idea what has happened.  I hope I don't ever hear them again, because it was kind of scary.

On to other scary items.  My neighbor came over yesterday to let me know that there has been a rash of daytime burglaries in our neighborhood.  Luckily, me and my two adjacent neighbors are home all day every day.  This would seem a bit of a protection.  Not only that, I have two dogs.  They are yappers too, so I will be warned of danger in a most annoying way.  I also have a gun (or a few) and a plan.  I'll keep those private.  Today I am calling a security company, so I can have an alarm go off in case of any danger.

This is all right up my alley.  I am a complete alarmist.  I am the first one to think danger when something out of the ordinary happens.  I will watch airplanes and they land thinking they will crash.  I have actually watched a plane crash land.  It wasn't as dramatic as you might think.  I was with my friend (I think I was about 13) and her dad.  We were driving by the St. Louis airport.  He was an airport worker and noticed that the small plane coming in didn't have its landing gear down.  So he stopped the car, and we watched as the plane landed and skidded with great sparks down the runway.  He informed us that clearly they didn't know they had forgotten the landing gear or the emergency vehicles would have been on the field.  We watched until they got there.  No big deal, but a plane crash, nonetheless.  My husband makes fun of me for thinking every plane is going to crash.  I have also been in a plane "incident."  I was 12 years old and we were flying to Mexico at Christmas time.  I remember we were taking off in Mexico City and heard loud pops and the plane slammed on its brakes (?), and the plane skidded of the runway.   The reason, as I recall, was that 5 of the tires blew out as we were barreling down the runway.  We lived and I am guessing we changed planes, I don't remember.

Well, suffice it to say, I watch constantly for accidents and scary stuff to happen.  It is a very tiring way to be, and I wish I was less stressed about random events.

No comments:

Post a Comment