Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Yoga is for Hippies!

When I was little, my four older brothers used the word "kicker".  Not sure the true meaning, but my 7-8 year old mind kind of viewed it as a hillbilly.  I could be wrong.  Anyway, along a different line, but the same kind of name-calling applies to what I consider "hippies."  These are the earthy people who don't shave their legs or wear deodorant.   I am the complete opposite of earthy.  I leave a very large footprint on the world.  I don't save cans or recycle my bottles of water.  In fact, I never refill a bottle of water from the sink.  And then I throw the empty bottle in the regular trash.  I drive a gas-guzzling truck.  I use super hot water.  I have 2 refrigerators.  Years ago, when the city forced me to pay for a recycling bin, I filled it with regular trash and let them figure it out.  You get the picture. 

Anyway, I have always considered that Yoga is one of those activities done by earthy hippies. So I have avoided it.  Unfortunately, I have had back pain for years.  Every morning I dutifully take 2 acetaminophen 500mg tabs to start my day off right.  After that wasn't enough, I read a book about pain and started stretching out my back for 6 minutes every morning.  Then it got to the point that I actually ended up going to the doctor about my back pain.  He referred me to physical therapy, which I did for 1 day.  I didn't want to go down any strong medication route.  Being a pharmacist, I see what that stuff does to the body.  It seemed to me that physical therapy was the way to go, but I needed a coach.  Then I talked with my visiting teacher who talked about yoga.  I said "sure" all the while in the back of my head I am thinking, "no freaking way."  But there was a good deal at the local yoga outlet.  So I went for 3 classes.  Surprisingly, I felt looser and better.  But the 3rd class really was too difficult for me so I didn't want to go back.  Now in this day and age of Netflix, YouTube, and Amazon Prime Videos, I decided to search for free classes.  There are so many classes.  I just search, "beginner" "yoga" "back pain."  And I am now sold.  I have done yoga solid for 2 or 3 weeks.  I love it.  My back feels amazing.  I am still very much a beginner. 

So for all you out there who think yoga is for hippies. . . it probably is.  But it works for back pain.  And for that I am grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment