I am not one to celebrate Christmas big. When I was little, my parents liked to travel on Christmas break. Cancun, Mexico was one of the favorite places, though Jamaica, Mazatlan, and various other warm places were our destinations. We usually got 1 gift, like a piece of jewelry or something along those lines. Oh, we did have some of the regular, open your gifts while it is snowing outside, kind of Christmases.
When I married Paul, we had a major cultural clash. Not that we fought about it, but it was just a major difference in perspective regarding the holiday. As you can guess, he loves everything about the hustle and bustle of Christmas. He looks forward to fighting the crowds on Christmas Eve and over spending on gifts. I deplore shopping to begin with, and Christmas Eve, or even the month leading up to it, are nearly unbearable for me.
I can never figure out how much to give each person, who to give to, and what do you do when you get a gift from someone that you didn't even think of?!? Mostly, it is a stressful holiday. I prefer Thanksgiving. . . hang out with your loved ones, eat, and be thankful. No stress of gift giving. ANYWAY, this year was different.
I don't know why. I don't know how it came about. It could be related to Paul's kidney's failing, but I cannot figure it out. Kyle and Christina put up our village as a gift for us. It is so beautiful. They also got the decorations out, and we bought a new tree. We didn't put the bears on the stairs. It made me sad. I will not forego next year. We found the most awesome sales. We had enough money. The Spirit of Christmas and love seemed to permeate the house and my life in such a wonderful way this year. I even was tempted to put up lights outside the house. Those will be a must next year too! I have a plan. . . a way cool plan for lights. You will just have to wait and see.
This secular celebration of the birth of our Savior came at a time in my life when I needed a little peace and little love. I am so glad I opened my heart this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment