Sunday, August 8, 2010

Migraines

I must say that I hate, hate, hate headaches.  I have been plagued by headaches for years.  I remember my first headache when I was about 11 years old.  I remember seeing sparkly things out of the right side of my eye, but I couldn't quite catch it to see what it was.  Luckily, I fell asleep in the car for a couple of hours, but when I woke up I had a raging headache.  I didn't know it at the time, but that was my first migraine.  My second came about the age of 17 or 18.  It was such a bad headache that I went to the emergency room.  They gave me demoral, and I slept for about 27 hours.  I woke up occasionally to go to the bathroom and remember still having the headache in those waking moments.  Since then the headaches came every couple of years or so with minor headaches in between.  At the age of 30, however, they started hitting me every month.  They seem to be hormone related, but I cannot predict a time of the month when they will arrive.  I cannot predict how strong they will be, nor how long they will last.  Some headaches take 5 days to dissipate, while others can be dealt with in a couple of hours.  Some react to my pain medication, Relpax, but others make me miserable the entire time.  The worst part of the headache is when I wake up.  I lay there feeling the pain and knowing that my whole day is ruined from the start.  I can take medicine and it might go away, but usually, the day is shot.

Like today.  I was looking forward to fasting this Sunday with real intent and having a very spiritual experience.  Not to be.  I have a headache.  The fasting is only going to make it worse. Standing and teaching my Sunday School lesson will be difficult.  Not only that, yesterday I tweeked my back so bad that I am having trouble moving today.  UGH, what a crappy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment