Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Pockets of Time

How do I do it?
I am a pretty busy person.  I am probably not much busier than most, though.  Sometimes people will say to me, "I don't know how you do it."  I look at them and wonder what they are thinking.  I do it the same as they do it.  I do have a few tips though, that I might share.

Scripture Study.  This is a critical part of my testimony.  I know the scriptures are the word of God and that they should be visited every day.  I get tired and fall asleep instantly, so reading right before bedtime just doesn't work for me.  When my kids were little, we bought "disposable" scriptures and read during breakfast (my favorite meal of the day.)  As time went on, and I had a cell phone, I read every single morning before I rolled myself out of bed.  This was particularly helpful during school.  I knew that I could only be blessed in my studies if I made sure to stay focused on the scriptures before I tried to focus on my pharmacy books.  Now, I listen in the car on the way to work.  My commute is 30+ minutes each way.  I can listen to the scriptures and to current conference talks every single day.  At this time in my life, this is working well.

Relief Society President business.  I was given the perfect blessing when I was set apart. In the blessing, the bishop blessed me with "pockets of time."  I definitely have been given multiple times throughout each day to take care of this important calling.  Sometimes, it is just a minute or two in the grocery store line.  Other times, it is a whole evening that was planned with another event, but happened to get cancelled.  Keeping the Sabbath also allows for me to use that day to fulfill this important calling.  Again, I use my commute home to take care of other RS business. 

Pharmacy Study.  Prayer and caffeine. I have always used prayer.  I didn't start using caffeine until my second year of pharmacy school.  I thank Dr. Ofstad for my conversion to the drug world. Haha.  My best time to finish projects is in the morning.  I usually put the finishing touches on a project at about 3 am the morning it is due.  

Work.  I love my job.  I am happy every day that I get to go into the pharmacy and learn more and more.  I enjoy reading the updated literature.  I squeeze this in throughout the day, usually at lunch.  My email inbox is full of emails with the latest information on new drugs.  I read these emails at every opportunity.  Sometimes it is while standing in lines or late at night when I am just finishing up for the day.

Sleep.    I make sure to get good sleep all the time.  This may seem like it conflicts with my pharmacy study technique.  Sometimes sleep does get "put off."  However, I always make sure that I catch up.  Sometimes I will "bank" sleep.  My brother taught me that I could take extra naps ahead of time, days in advance, when I knew I would be under a time crunch.  I love sleep.  

House cleaning.  I don't.  Actually, my best cleaning is done when I am mad.  Too bad I don't get mad at things very often.  In fact, we have a maid come in and clean up for us every 3 weeks.  She takes care of the blinds and the dusting.  It is great, except I hate paying for something that I should be doing myself.  AND I feel a little guilty about this part of my failings.

Taking care of a sick husband.  This is actually not something that I really do.  It appears that I take care of a sick husband because he is often sick, and I am close by.  Mostly, my sick husband takes care of himself.  He just needs me to be there.  So I am there and will always be there.  He supports me 100% of the time.  I will do the same for him.  I love Paul. =)

Family and friends.  I squeeze them in.  I may be lacking in this area.

So there you have it.  If there is something else I should be doing, I try to get it done in my left-over pockets of time.  Life is too, too good. I love every day that I get to spend on this earth with family, friends. It may not be that these tips are helpful to anyone else, but they are working for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment