Friday, June 24, 2016

Last Day of Residency

Today was the last day of my 1 year residency.  I wish I would have taken a picture of me in my "garb."  I worked as the product checker in the oncology infusion compounding clean room.  When working in this room, I have to wear the following garb:

  • booties over my shoes
  • hair covering
  • face mask on my mouth and nose
  • gloves
  • coverall coat
  • face shield
Throughout the day I move from hood to hood checking the work that the technicians do.  I make sure the right amount of chemo (or other treatment) is removed from a reconstituted and injected into the IV bag.  There is also some computer work to be attended to by entering all the lot numbers and expiration dates of all the medications and diluents.  The only problem with the whole get up is if you have to go to the bathroom.  You cannot just "run" to the bathroom.  You have to de-garb and re-garb to go back in.  I will be the product checker every 7 weeks.  

On the way home from work I decided to treat myself to a McDonald's cheeseburger and French fries.  I ate it alone and then celebrated a little more by eating some ice cream.  It's no fun to celebrate by yourself.  I can attest to it. 

But, just to shake things up a bit, I did my hair different today.  The picture doesn't show it very well, but I just used mousse and boinged it up a little.  Kind of cute and different. 

So it's done.  On Monday I start my new job.  I am so excited to be an oncology pharmacist.  

No comments:

Post a Comment