Saturday, August 22, 2015

This IS the life...

I just walked through the kitchen barefoot and there was something sticky on the floor.  I kind of squished my nose up thinking, gross.  Then I realized, wow, that hasn't happened in a while.  But it got me realizing how blessed I am.  Right now I am sitting on my couch.  My little 5 month old granddaughter is asleep, zonked out on the floor in front of me.  Two other granddaughters are camped out by the toy closet playing, who knows what.  I am nursing the last of a 7 day migraine.  But here I sit, happy as a clam.  It brings back memories of days when I could just relax and be with the kids.

When I was raising 7 kids, I used to love to sit on the couch and listen to the sounds of children in the house.  It didn't bother me too much that the house was a mess.  In fact, to me it meant that there was life in the home.  Yes, it needed to be cleaned up, but in reality, kids will be kids, and should be allowed the freedom to make a mess until it was time to clean up said mess.  Most people disagree with this philosophy, particularly my husband.  I miss children in my home.  I miss the sounds of laughter at silly things.  Sometimes kids get to giggling and cannot stop.  I love that.  I don't care that it is over the top giggling.  It is a beautiful sound.  I also love to hear when children are planning or working things out after an argument.  To me that is how they become future leaders in the world.

Oh, looking back makes me nostalgic and sad that my time is over.  Here is to all the parents of young children out there.  My hat is off to you.  Enjoy it.  It will end too soon.

Here is a picture of the tent that we like to put up in our house when our grandkids come to visit. We do this so they can have their own "room."  Notice the piano in the back. It is our indoor tent.  It has never been put up outdoors, so it is clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment