Thursday, April 7, 2011

Fruit Flies

As you know, I have been working on an experiment in Biology involving the mating of fruit flies with various genetic traits to track inheritance and linkages.  I was so thrilled with my little babies (by the way, I killed them all off, finishing the last ones today).  I couldn't wait to get down and dirty in the data and prove that I could run an experiment successfully.  Nevermind that my first 3 lab partners dropped the class.  Nevermind that the 4th lab partner I was assigned (after all the work was done) never comes to class, and when she does, she leaves early.  I am highly suspicious of all their numbers.  But what can I do?  That is the only data I have.  I could lie and make numbers up.  I am sooooo tempted.

Here is sit.  I have personally counted and categorized about 600-700 of them.  The other 300 or so were counted by "others."  I have compiled the data and run Chi-squared statistical analysis on it.  The results. . . wait for it. . . I should reject all my hypothesis.  I feel like running down the street crying, screaming, and pulling my hair out.  How could this happen!!!!?? I can see clearly that my mutants are sex-linked, but the numbers aren't strong enough.  This stupid experiment is worth one-half a test.  RRRRGGGGG.

Anyway, I am having dejavu.  I am sitting in the hospital, Paul is unconscious, and I am worrying about a bunch of dumb, stupid, idiotic fruit flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment