Sunday, November 29, 2015

I should be beginning to look a little like Christmas

Let's hope my battery lasts.  I have only 5% and the cord is in the other room.

I am looking forward to this Christmas season.  No, I haven't even decorated yet.  No, I haven't a clue what I am going to buy for anyone.  In fact, I have less money this year, than any year in my previous 33 years as an adult at this time of year.  But for some reason, this year really feels like Christ has entered our home and will be a part of Christmas.

I like to think it might be due to a few things that we have changed in our home. First off, we have tried to follow the direction from the prophet to keep our Sabbath more holy.  I used to be horrible at this.  In fact, I could find a reason every single Sunday to go to the store.  Most Sundays I just needed Diet Pepsi.  When the kids got older, and maybe were "less active," I would send them, and "save" myself from having to break the Sabbath.  At some point, I realized that I needed to stop the shopping.  But I didn't really change my heart.  I just didn't shop.  This year, I have truly tried to make it a day of rest and worship. I temper the media that I watch.  I listen to more spiritual music.  I read more conference talks, etc.  I feel this has changed me for the better.  Second, we have tried to have a scripture to "ponderize" on a regular basis.  Neither of us has the energy to actually memorize the scripture or thought.  So I make 6 copies.  I put a copy in each car, one in the bathroom, one on the mirror, one on the fridge, and one on the door as we leave the house.  And lastly, I have tried to study the conference issues more regularly.  I think these things have helped me to come closer to Christ in the past 6 months.  I like it.

oooo 3%.  So with what little money we have, each Christmas gift that we give will need to be very well thought out.  In the past, if we bought a gift and didn't feel quite right about it, why not just buy something else?!  A few gifts always outweighs the problems of the "just not quite right" gifts.

I should probably get decorating though....

No comments:

Post a Comment